You never know.
You know how you hear about these things that inexplicably take off?
A blog, a book, a video, a meme?
And it's not because of any slick marketing machinations. It happens because something about the thing just resonates with people.
That's what happened with Secret Play Date.
When I started doing it in early December (at Havi's urging), it was for purely selfish reasons.
I needed more play.
I needed more making.
I needed progress with various big and little things.
I had no idea what to expect.
I felt supremely unqualified to do it out loud.
I went ahead anyway and I asked the people who hang out here to join me.
Much to my delight, they did!
They started having Play Dates and sharing what happened and how, in the comments.
And astonishingly, blogging about it.
- Havi blogged about it: I went on a secret play date.
- And Briana: I'm not a seamstress, I just played one on Tuesday.
- And Haloquin: Secret Tuesday Play Date.
- And Jacquelyn: The Case for Play.
- And (wow) Jesse! Secret Playdate #1: Big things and tiny things are afoot, Secret Playdate #2: Talking to the numbers, Secret Play Date #3: Future Me and the dance of the seven veils, Secret Play Date #5: Dragons and bicycles and tiny secret safehouses.
Each one of these posts was a surprise to me.
Each one taught me more about how I could approach a Play Date, and more importantly, the amazing effect Secret Play Date (and Society of the Secret Play Date) was having on people's work flow.
Ideas were unearthed!
Leaps and bounds of progress were made!
Solutions were unmasked!
I am astounded and inspired each time I read about someone's Play Date.
And I'm so glad I didn't wait until I felt ready, because you never know what will resonate and what will work for people until you put it out there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Society of the Secret Play Date, the extra-supportive, cheering-section-included version of a Play Date, meets in just five days, on March 29.
If you've been meaning to Play Date, but keep putting it off, Society of the Secret Play Date might be the right thing for you.